- H.E.L.P. conducts literacy classes throughout the Himalayas.
- Basic literacy – reading, writing, and math – are foundational for both development and health. Additionally, high infant and child mortality in developing countries has been directly linked to a lack of basic education (reading, writing, arithmetic) of the mother.
- Throughout the Himalayas, H.E.L.P. successfully conducts literacy classes which have vastly improved the development and health of attendees. All staff and workers involved in our work are mature believers and followers of Christ. Potential facilitators (teachers) are first interviewed to assess their basic reading and writing ability. Those chosen are trained by our full-time staff.
- While all members of the village are welcome to attend, our classes are over 90% women and girls due to the lack of opportunity for many women to receive an education. Reading success rates in H.E.L.P led classes exceed those of larger development organizations due to the multi-tier accountability utilizing village leaders and pastors.
- Currently, we have nearly 1,000 women a year who successfully learn to read and write. At the start of a new class, composition is generally half believers, and half non-believers. At the completion of class many of the non-believers give their lives to Christ, and those who do not have a new appreciation and respect for those who some previously scorned and persecuted.
- Developing Written Publications
- We are thrilled that the H.E.L.P. national missionaries have produced many different pamphlets in local languages...
- Developing Literacy Trainers
- As we finished one literacy cycle, the rigorous process of choosing young church leaders with a good basic...
- Literacy...A Church Planting Tool
- Churches are blessed as the church members can read their Bible and sing hymns, most participants became...
- Maya's Story
- I nearly died as a baby and suffered much as a child. My mother died when I was 12, and when I was young, I...